How to Entertain Toddlers For Hours [Indoors & Outdoors]
Toddlers are bundles of energy and short attention spans. So, what is mommy going to do when she needs to send an email or keep her baby still when traveling? If you are stuck on coming up with ideas on how to entertain toddlers, the tips below should get you covered.
No matter how much of an active bunch your kid is, there is always something you can do to keep up. That constantly on the move and ready to play a character is an essential component in their development.
Studies have pointed out that toddlers should be able to listen or follow instructions, which are essential skills that will help them develop. With all these in mind, here is a detailed guide to keeping your toddler entertained while bonding you together.
How to entertain toddlers indoors?
Keeping your toddler entertained when indoor is not always easy. However, anyone of these indoor play activities is easy and only uses materials most parents can get.
- 1Ball throwing - Get a target and practice ball throwing with your toddler. You can also practice counting to make the activity enjoyable.
- 2Bath time for toy animals - If your child has stuffed animal toys, you can take this time to clean them while disguising the activity as fun water play.
- 3Building towers - Use empty boxes and create jumbo blocks, which your toddler can knock over for added fun.
- 4Slide painting - Tape a shower curtain liner on a slide. Then, place some washable paint at the start of the slide and get some cars to ride the slide.
- 5Slide into the baby pool - Place the slide into a baby pool with ball pit balls and give your child a hand down the slide.
- 6Sticky mural - This is something your child can repeatedly do. Place a piece of contact paper on the wall and tape it to secure it. Then grab items and place them where it is easily accessible to the toddler to get them creating a mural.
- 7Play dress up - If you do not have a dress-up box for your toddler, you can create a simplified version using common household things. Playing dress-up has many advantages for toddlers, including building empathy and fostering emotional development.
- 8Coloring - The most important thing here is to let your kid decide what activity to do. If they decide on coloring, print some coloring pages or give them blank paper to use their imagination.
How to entertain toddlers Outdoors?
If you and your little one wants to bring the fun outdoors, here is a list of activities you might think of exploring to keep your toddler entertained.
- 1Bird feeding - One of the simplest ways to keep your toddler entertained is by fostering the love for animals. It is as simple as carrying bread to the park.
- 2Movement games - This activity works best when there are some friends involved. It does not have to be fancy, a simple and active game like racing or dancing will do. You could also invest in power wheels for your toddler. This list covers all the best models in the market today.
- 3Play with bubbles - Toddlers love bubbles, and that's why you should always have a bubble-making toy lying around in the house at all times.
- 4Tell stories - Most of the time, outdoor reading is not intended to develop the attentive skills of the child, rather entertain them with interesting pictures.
- 5Gardening - One of the best ways to stimulate their curiosity is to introduce them to the world of nature. Besides, planting gives your child a huge sense of accomplishment.
- 6Wash and dry - Anything that involves water is instant fun for toddlers. So the next time you go out with your kid, take a bucket of water, some soap, a clean sponge, and let your kid clean up their ride-on toys and bikes with you.
How to keep them entertained for hours?
These ideas are easy to set up and should keep your toddler busy for hours.
- 1Playdough - Playdough is great because it allows toddlers to be creative. Put it on a tray to contain the mess.
- 2Shape sorter- Get an empty container from your house and create holes in the form of shapes to allow your toddler to sort different items that fit.
- 3Puzzles - Get your toddler some easy puzzles that are easy enough for them to solve.
- 4Pomp poms through the tube - Tape a toilet paper tube on the wall and let your toddler drop pomp poms through it into a tube.
- 5Racecar circuit - Get some masking tape and mark the floor to allow your toddler to play with their cars on the tracks quietly.
Keeping a toddler busy in The winter
When temperatures fall below freezing point, there is no way you can take your toddler outside for a day of fun and games. If it is wintertime, then you need a handful of tricks up your sleeve to keep your toddler entertained.
- 1Taste test - Get some fruits and vegetables to introduce your toddler to a world of new flavors.
- 2Cardboard forts - This is a classic activity that allows your child to use their imagination. You can transform the cardboard box into an obstacle course that will keep your toddler entertain for hours.
- 3Song games - These games allow your toddler to improve their motor skills as they dance to the music.
- 4Magnets on the fridge - Let your toddler stick magnets to the fridge to keep them busy and within the warmth of the kitchen.
- 5Puppet show - This form of play allows you to support their language skills, which is useful for teaching them how to make conversation.